Well, actually, they’re both blue but minor details. I’ve finished two new pieces, although one is kind of a cheat. I already posted about this in progress, but now here’s the finished piece. Except for basically ruining my crow quill by accident (which accounts for the blotchiness in the lines), I’m pleased with how it looks.
Untitled Abstract (2017) | Watercolor and blue ink on paper, 5.5″ x 7.5″ | Available
For my second piece, I did an ACEO to submit to the Grumbacher Art Swap #53 event. The theme was song title interpretation and I decided to go with “Counting Stars” by OneRepublic. It’s a fun song, the video makes me smile, and the idea popped into my head when I was thinking of different song titles. So there ya go!
Counting Stars – ACEO (2017) | Watercolor on paper, 2.5″ x 3.5″ | Grumbacher Art Swap #53
Vague post title is wonderfully vague. Except it’s kind of not. I had a larger (11″ x 15″) piece I was working on that just wasn’t doing it for me. The composition was off and I didn’t like it. In fact, I’d pretty much stopped doing anything with it for several days. Last night, I decided to take a knife to it and sliced the piece into four smaller (each 5.58″ x 7.5″) paintings and suddenly *BOOM* everything seemed to come together. Here’s a WIP shot of the first piece that I’m adding blue ink to now. It’s already a vast improvement over the original, larger sized painting, IMO.
I’ve been somewhat dissatisfied with my image gallery plug-in for a while now, but haven’t gotten motivated enough to do anything about it until now. I’m testing something new and want to see how it looks. The upside is if I like this, it’ll look much nicer on the site. The downside is having to completely re-upload and redo all the images on my site.
Oh, and as anyone can tell by the dates on the blog posts, I’ve been a lazy slob about updating. I’ve been much, much, MUCH better about updating my Facebook art page and Instagram, which needs to change.
UPDATE Tuesday – I think I’ve found the setting I want to use. The gallery adjusts based on the images, so it’s not all same sized boxy pictures. It has captions and a lightbox setting. So far I’m loving it. Yes, it will be a hassle to redo all my galleries, but I’ll take the opportunity to clean them up as I go along, which should be a good thing. Below is the starting point for the “Abstracts” gallery.
Continuing with my cleaning and organizing theme, I finally took the time over this weekend to put some items sitting out in my office/studio away in the closet and slightly straighten up my drawing table. The room feels much bigger now, even though it wasn’t as if I were cramped for space or anything. It’s a psychological thing, I guess. In the process of cleaning up, I went through the things in a plastic storage bag that was still struggling to survive the twenty years plus since I got out of college.
The bad? Here’s what remained of a triangle that didn’t make it and instead crumbled into a lot of dust and little pieces.
The good? I finally FINALLY found my French curves! Yay! I knew they were around here somewhere, and I thought I’d checked this bag in the past, but apparently I didn’t check well enough.
I’ve been getting close to just buying a new set, but all the ones I saw at office supply stores were small and as you can see, these are nice and big. It’s giving me ideas and I can use them for the first of my Art for the Paws canvas.
Here’s to a creative and fun 2017! It’s off to a good start!
I have been incredibly lax about updating the site and posting any images here. I have the remainder of the January 30-in-30 that I did plus a few other pieces that I’ve managed to do in the past six months as well, but the truth is – I’ve been incredibly lazy in general. Just haven’t put a priority on making art, which isn’t good. I feel better when I’m creating at least something. But near the end of July, I got my creative vibe back and have two new pieces to offer. I’ll be going back and figuring out what is missing from the galleries here and updating those as well.
“The Gates of Tomorrow”
Watercolor and white ink on paper, 8 x 11
Prints are available through my deviantArt account, if interested.
“Untitled (Blue Layers)”
Watercolor on paper, 5 x 7
Nothing much to really say here. I’ve yet again failed to come up with a title but that’s all right. It will let the viewer decide what they like about this painting rather than be influenced by the words I assigned.
I’m really enjoying how the violet and turquoise blue look together. Overall very pleased with how this turned out even though I was experimenting for part of it. And I’m getting comfortable with the 5×7 size. It gives a bit more room than 4×6 but doesn’t feel like I have so much space to fill if I were doing 8×10 or 9×12.
“Untitled Abstract” – Day 7
Watercolor on paper, 5″ x 7″
Available for purchase.