Or something like that. It was nice here today, but it’s going to be colder by the middle of this coming week. Ugh.
Anyways, not been all that busy, but I did manage to complete a postcard for TAE18. This will be the first year I’ve taken part and I’m pretty excited for this.
Watercolor on paper, 4″ x 6″
El Dorado (TAE18) (2017) | Watercolor on paper. 4″ x 6″ | Available
And I finished this piece this afternoon. It’s a bit new (I usually do wet washes all over the page) but I really like how it turned out. I mean, really like it!
Watercolor and ink on paper, 9″ x 12″
Jellyfish Daydreams (2017) | Watercolor and ink on paper, 9″ x 12″ | Available
Technically, it’s still the 11th for another 32 minutes here, so I’ve made it! Although to be honest, I finished this piece yesterday but didn’t edit the photo to post online until this evening. So it’s entirely my fault this has been posted so late.
Still, day 11’s piece is one of my favorites so far. Once again, it’s part of the string theory pieces because I used the color soaked pieces of thread to bleed color onto the page. But this time, I filled in the background with a pattern using blue ink, which just works for me.
Day 11 – “Ablaze”
Watercolor and blue ink on paper
12″ x 3″
Available for purchase.
Ablaze | Watercolor and blue Ink on paper | 12″ x 3″ | January 30-in-30 Challenge
I’m continuing with the theme/technique/style that I used yesterday but this time, I used watercolors for the background. I’m not sure if I’ll go back to the gouache this month but I would like to.
Today’s piece is actually in (three) pieces, all of them small. I did these as one wash and then added the lines in black ink. I think I may need to break out the detail brush and white acrylic though as a change against darker backgrounds.
Here’s a WIP showing how I had the pieces laid out on the board. I taped all three as if they were one continuous piece and did the wash, plastic overlay, salt and then water splatter one all three at once. It gives a continuity to the background, IMO.
Into Light (WIP) | Watercolor and ink on paper | 3 pieces, each 3″ x 6″ | January 30-in-30 Challenge
For the final image, I’m disappointed that the color bled under the tape so much but I was working pretty wet when I started, so I’m not surprised. It just means I’ll have to actually trim off the white border instead, but that shouldn’t be an issue. I do like these against a black base, that’s for sure, but once the white trim is removed, they’ll probably look better against a white base instead.
Day 4 – “Into Light”
Watercolor and ink on paper
3 pieces, each 3″ x 6″
Available for purchase, contact me at lahutton(@)gmail.com for more information.
Into Light | Watercolor and ink on paper | 3 pieces, each 3″ x 6″ | January 30-in-30 Challenge
I’m a bit late in getting this up, but considering I just finished, it’s right on time.
Continuing the theme of “Growth” I did something the same and something different. The same was laying down random layers of gouache and then using plastic and paper towels bits to texture the paint as it dried. I like using plastic and salt on my washes the best, because it’s such a crapshoot to see exactly how it’s going to turn out.
The different was using true pen-and-ink. Last night, I was digging for something in my closet (really need to clean that out!) and found the box with all my calligraphy supplies in it, including all my nibs and holders. I found that while the need to constantly load my pen with ink was a bit annoying, it also forced me to be slow and consider what I was doing. It was kind of soothing after a while – dip, make marks until the ink started to fade out, dip, rinse, repeat.
So I used those on today’s painting and while I didn’t start with a real plan, I did end with one. It’s got a very chaotic feel to it but overall, I really like this piece a lot.
Day 3 – Untitled 04
Gouache and ink on watercolor paper
6″ x 9″
Available for purchase
no images were found